Tahdig, which means “bottom of the pan” in Persian, is a pan-fried rice.
– 1 cup long-grain basmati rice
– 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
– 1 tsp kosher salt
– 1/8 tsp crushed saffron threads
– 1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
– 2 tsp canola oil
1. Bring to a boil 4 cups of water.
2. Add rice and cook for 10 minutes. Rinse with cold water, and drain.
3. Combine yogurt, salt and saffron in a medium bowl. Add rice to yogurt mixture and stir well.
4. Melt butter in a pan, add canola oil.
5. Add rice mixture to a pan, lightly packing rice down.
6. Cook rice covered for 40 minutes or until rice is tender on top and a golden crust forms on bottom (do not stir or uncover).
7. Place a plate over the top of pan, and invert the rice onto plate, browned side up.
8. Cut into 6 wedges and serve immediately.