Shakshuka is a popular dish in Israel, the origin of which is still uncertain.
– 1 onion
– 1 bell pepper
– 4 garlic cloves
– 1/4 tsp chili powder
– 1 can whole peeled tomatoes
– 6 eggs
– Salt and pepper, to taste
– Cilantro and parsley, for garnish
– Olive oil
1. Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat.
2. Add diced onion and cook until the onion becomes translucent.
3. Add finely chopped garlic and cook until fragrant, approximately for a minute.
4. Add chopped bell pepper. Cook for another 2 minutes.
5. Pour the can of tomatoes with juice into the pan, breaking down the tomatoes with a spoon.
6. Season with salt and pepper and bring the sauce to a simmer.
7. Make small wells in the sauce with a spoon and crack the eggs into each well.
8. Cover the pan and cook for 5-8 minutes, or until the eggs are done to your liking.
9. Garnish with chopped cilantro and parsley.