Cabbage soup “Shchi” is a national Russian dish.
500 g meat
300 g sauerkraut or fresh cabbage
3 small onions
1 small carrot
1 tbsp tomato paste
cooking oil for frying
bay leaves, salt, pepper to taste
dill, parsley, sour cream for serving
1. Boil meat on a medium heat for one hour.
2. Add sauerkraut (if cooking with fresh cabbage, add it with potatoes)
3. Meanwhile fry finely chopped onions, carrots and tomato. At the very end add one tablespoon of tomato paste.
4. Chop potatoes into small cubes and add to a boiling broth, then add fried vegetables.
5. Cook for 20-30 minutes on a low heat and then add salt, pepper and bay leaves.
6. At the end of cooking, cover the pot and let it simmer for several minutes.
7. Serve cabbage soup with sour cream and fresh herbs.