Rugelach is a sweet and flaky Jewish dessert, often served on Jewish holidays like Hanukkah and Shavuot.
– 1 cup unsalted butter
– 250g cream cheese
– 1/4 cup sour cream
– 2 cups all purpose flour
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 1/2 cup granulated sugar
– 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans
– 1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
– 1/2 cup berry preserves (raspberry, strawberry, or blackberry)
– 1/4 cup brown sugar
– 1 egg
– 1 tsp water
– 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Pulse cold butter, cream cheese, sour cream, flour, salt and 2 tbsp sugar in a food processor until crumbly.
2. Divide the dough into four equal pieces and form four balls.
3. Cover each ball with plastic and place in the refrigerator. Refrigerate dough balls for at least 1 1/2 hours, for up to 48 hours.
4. Meanwhile, toast the chopped nuts until fragrant.
5. Add the toasted nuts into a food processor along with the chocolate chips, berry preserves, and brown sugar. Pulse together until a thick paste forms. Set aside.
6. Combine the cinnamon and 1/4 cup of sugar in a small bowl.
7. Beat an egg with water.
8. Preheat the oven to 180C.
9. Lightly flour a rolling surface and a rolling pin.
10. Take one dough ball out the refrigerator. Roll out the dough to about 1/3 cm thickness.
11. Lift the dough gently from the rolling surface and re-flour your surface beneath the dough.
12. Use a round 20cm cake pan to make a circle in the dough. Cut the dough into a large circle with the cake pan.
13. Take 1/4 of the filling and place it in the center of the circle, spreading it very thin. Leave about 2 cm around the edges of the circle.
14. Cut the circle into 8 or 12 equal triangles.
15. Roll each triangle, starting from the wide flat end and rolling towards the narrow point.
16. Press the end point into the cookie to secure it.
17. Place the rolled cookies onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, end point down. Leave 2 cm between the cookies.
18. Before baking, brush the top of each cookie with an egg wash, then lightly sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
19. Bake the cookies for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
20. Remove from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack.