Marinated mushrooms is a popular appetizer in Russia. It’s also a favourite dish at the meatless Orthodox Christmas Eve dinner, known as sochelnik.
– 1kg fresh mushrooms (cremini, baby bella, button, etc.)
– 1 large onions
– 1 carrot
– 1 bell pepper
– 4 garlic cloves
– salt, sugar, ground black pepper, to taste
– 1/2 tsp ground coriander
– 1 tsp ground mustard
– 1/2 tbsp whole black peppercorns
– 1 tbsp mustard seeds
– 2 dry bay leaves
– 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
– 1/4 cup oil
– fresh herbs, optional
1. Clean the mushrooms and cut the bigger mushrooms in half or into quarters.
2. Peel and slice the onions. Roughly chop garlic cloves. Grate the carrot. Finely chop the pepper.
3. In a large deep skillet, place the mushrooms, 2 cups water, all the vegetables and spices.
4. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. The mushrooms should be still firm, but cooked through.
5. Turn off the heat and pour in the vinegar and oil.
6. Let the mushrooms marinate for 12-24 hours.
7. Refrigerate when the mushrooms have cooled to room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
8. Garnish the mushrooms with fresh herbs before serving.