Kyiv Cake is a classic Ukrainian cake, made with sponge cake, a crunchy meringue with hazelnuts and cream.
– 5 large eggs
– 3/4 cup sugar
– 1 cup all purpose flour
– 6 egg whites
– 1 cup sugar
– 1 cup hazelnuts
– 2 cups apricot jam
– 6 egg yolks
– 1/3 cup water
– 8 tbsp condensed milk
– 100g chocolate chips
– 400g butter
1. Preheat oven to 175C.
2. Beat 5 eggs with sugar for up to 5 minutes.
3. Fold in flour gently with a rubber spatula.
4. Add cake batter to an oiled 11-inch baking sheet.
5. Bake at 175C for approximately 30 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, whip egg whites with sugar on high speed until they are doubled in volume.
7. Add hazelnuts.
8. Spread the mixture onto 11-inch baking pan, lined with parchment paper.
9. Bake it at 130C for 6 hours.
10. In a small pot, beat egg yolks, slowly adding water and condensed milk.
11. Cook all ingredients on low heat, mixing the cream the entire time. Cook for 5-10 minutes. Do not bring the mixture to a boil.
12. Remove the mixture from the heat and add chocolate chips. Mix well.
13. Let the mixture cool off to room temperature.
14. In a separate bowl, beat butter. Once the butter is fluffy, add the cream mixture to the butter, a few spoonfuls at a time, until fully blended.
15. Slice the sponge cake horizontally in half.
16. Cover each layer with jam, excluding the top layer.
17. Place the first layer of sponge cake and cover it with cream, followed by meringue, then again, a layer of cream.
18. Frost the sides, then top with the remaining cream.
19. Refrigerate overnight.