Holubtsi are Ukrainian stuffed cabbage rolls.
– 1 large green cabbage
– 1kg ground beef
– 2 cups cooked rice
– 2 large eggs
– 1 medium onion
– 10 cherry tomatoes quartered
– 1 tbsp Kosher salt
– 1 can tomato paste
– 1 can crushed tomatoes
– 4 bay leaves dried
– Sour cream, for serving
1. Cook rice according to package directs and set aside to cool completely.
2. Preheat oven to 175°C.
3. Bring a large pot with water to a boil. While water is heating, remove tough outer leaves of the cabbage and reserve. Gently place cabbage into boiling water core side down. Add additional water, if needed.
4. Boil cabbage for about 5 minutes or until outer leaves become soft. Using kitchen tongs, remove the outer 2 or 3 leaves and put in a colander. Continue with remaining cabbage leaves.
5. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, cooled rice, chopped onion, eggs, and salt. Using your hands, mix it until well combined.
6. Mix tomato paste with water. Pour half of it to a roasting pan, adding half of crashed tomatoes.
7. Roll/stuff the cabbage leaves one at a time. Place seam side down in the roasting pan and repeat until all of the meat mixture has been used.
8. Once all of the cabbage rolls are tucked tightly in the roasting pan, add the cherry tomatoes.
9. If there are remaining unstuffed cabbage leaves left, chop them finely and scatter atop.
10. Pour the remaining tomato paste-water mixture and crashed tomatoes over holubtsi.
11. Sprinkle with crushed bay leaves.
12. Place the lid on the roasting pan and bake at 150°C for 2 hours.
13. Serve holubtsi with sour cream.