Gigantes plaki (Greek γίγαντες πλακί), also known as giant baked beans, is a Greek vegetarian dish, which consists of white dried beans cooked in a tomato sauce.
– 400g dried butter beans
– 3 tbsp Greek extra virgin olive oil
– 1 yellow onion
– 2 garlic cloves
– 2 tbsp tomato purée
– 800g tomatoes
– 1 tsp sugar
– 1 tsp dried oregano
– 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
– 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus extra to serve
1. Soak the beans overnight in water.
2. Drain, rinse, then place in a pan with water. Bring to the boil and simmer for approximately 50 mins until slightly tender. Drain, then set aside.
3. Cook the onion and garlic in a large skillet with olive oil for 10 mins until softened but not browned.
4. Add the tomato purée, cook for 2 more minutes.
5. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
6. Season generously, then stir in the beans.
7. Tip into a large ovenproof dish, then bake for approximately 1 hour at 180C, uncovered and without stirring, until the beans are tender.
8. Allow to cool, then scatter with parsley and drizzle with a little more olive oil before serving.