Egyptian Molokhia is a green soup, made with a leafy plant called Corchorus. This soup originated in Egypt and later became popular in other regions of Middle East, North Africa and East Mediterranean.
– 4 cups chicken broth
– 2 bay leaves
– 1 yellow onion
– 1 tbsp tomato paste
– 1kg molokhia leaves
– 6 clove garlic
– 2 tbsp cumin seed
– 1/2 cup olive oil
– 1 lemon, juiced
– Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Bring to a simmer the broth, bay leaves, onion, tomato paste, salt and pepper.
2. Add the molokhia leaves and season with salt and pepper. Stir well. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
3. Fry minced garlic and cumin seeds in the olive oil until golden brown.
4. Pour the hot oil over the simmering molokhia.
5. Add the lemon juice in and serve immediately.