Egyptian Mahlab bread is thin, crispy and delicious with black seed flavour.
– 3 cups flour
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1 1/2 tsp dry yeast
– 1/2 tsp sugar
– 1 cup warm water
– Black seeds
– 1 egg
– 1 tbsp milk
1. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, yeast and sugar.
2. Slowly add water, mix well to form a soft and smooth dough.
3. Place in an oiled bowl and let it rise for an hour or until doubled in size.
4. Divide the dough equally into 16 parts.
5. Beat the egg, add milk.
6. Flatten the balls to a 2mm thickness, brush top with egg and milk mixture and sprinle black seeds on top.
7. Let it rest for another 10-15 minutes, meanwhile pre-heat your oven to 400F.
8. Place the bread into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until the bottom is lightly brown.
9. Take the bread out and let it cool completely to room temperature.