Cholent is a slow-cooked dish, usually cooked during the Jewish Sabbath.
– canola or olive oil
– 6 onions
– 1 cup pinto beans, soaked overnight
– 1 cup barley, soaked overnight
– 5 potatoes
– paprika, salt, black pepper, turmeric, garlic powder, to taste
– half of a chicken
1. Sauté the onions until soft and translucent.
2. Add the beans, barley, and potatoes, and cover with water.
3. Add the seasonings to taste.
4. Add the chicken and additional water if needed.
5. Cook the cholent on high for three to five hours, then turn to low and cook until the next day.