This mouthwatering Chicken Soup with Matzah Balls is one of the main dishes on the Jewish holiday of Passover.
- 1 whole chicken
- 2-3 large carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, cut in half
- 1 medium turnip, chopped
- 2 parsnips, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp whole peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp turmeric for color
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place chicken and vegetables in a pot and cover with 5 litres of water.
- Add fresh dill, parsley, peppercorns and thyme.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken and veggies from the pot and let it simmer additional hour with the cover on.
- Shred chicken while still warm (you will need only half of it, the rest you could use for chicken salad or sandwiches).
- Allow soup to cool, and place in a fridge.
- Skim any remaining fat off the top.
- Reheat to serve.
- Add chicken, matzah balls and desired vegetables.