Caribbean beef patties have a thin, flaky and buttery yellow crust and are made with a seasoned beef filling.
– 1 small onion
– 2 garlic cloves
– 250g ground beef
– 1 potato
– 2 tsp turmeric
– 2 tbsp tomato purée
– 2 thyme sprigs
– 2 tbsp hot pepper sauce
– 500g shortcrust pastry
– 1 egg
– green salad, to serve
1. Cook the finely chopped onion for 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and beef, cook until the meat is browned.
3. Add the cubed potato, half the turmeric, tomato purée, thyme, and 200ml water. Cover and simmer for 15 mins, then remove the lid and cook for 5 mins more.
4. Add the hot pepper sauce and leave to cool.
5. Heat the oven to 220C. Roll out the pastry to the thickness of 2mm.
6. Cut out 6 x 15cm circles.
7. Divide the mince between the circles, piling it up on one side.
8. Mix the egg with the remaining turmeric.
9. Brush the edge of each circle, then fold over and use a fork to seal the edges.
10. Brush with a little more egg and bake for 20-25 minutes.
11. Serve with a green salad.