A Butter Tart is an iconic and very popular dessert in Canada. It consists of a filling made of butter, sugar, syrup and eggs, baked in a pastry shell.
– 50g butter
– 90g brown sugar
– 170g corn syrup
– pinch of salt
– 1 egg
– 1/2 tsp vanilla
– 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
– pinch sugar
– 150g butter
– 4-5 tbsp cold water
1. Sift flour, salt and sugar into a large bowl, add cold butter and cut into the flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Add water, one tablespoon at a time, just until dough starts to come together.
3. Then knead lightly on a lightly floured surface.
4. Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using.
5. Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
6. Grease and flour a muffin tin.
7. Roll the dough out to 1/8″ thickness and cut out 12 rounds.
8. Put rounds into a muffin tin.
9. Melt the butter, let cool slightly, then add the beaten egg, vanilla, brown sugar, salt and corn syrup. Stir to combine well.
10. Pour the filling into the prepared tart shells and bake for 15 minutes at 400°F, reduce heat to 350°F and continue baking for approximately 10-15 minutes.
11. Let cool before serving.