Bolinhos de Bacalhau (Portuguese Cod Cakes), also known as salt cod fritters or salt cod croquettes, are a famous deep-fried Portuguese appetizer.
– 300g thick salt cod
– 2 russet potatoes
– 3 tbsp finely chopped parsley
– 1 tbsp finely chopped mint
– Freshly ground black pepper
– 3 eggs, separated
– 1 tbsp Port wine
– Oil for deep frying
1. Put the coat in cold water two days before making the dish. Change water twice a day.
2. Drain and rinse it well under cold running water.
3. Boil cod for 20 minutes or until soft.
4. While the cod is simmering, cook the potatoes, unpeeled. Once cooked, peel and mash with butter and milk.
5. When the cod is ready, drain it, remove the skin and bones, and shred it.
6. Add the creamed potatoes, parsley, mint, pepper, egg yolks, and wind. Mix thoroughly.
7. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the cod mixture.
8. Heat the oil in a deep fryer to 190C.
9. Make torpedo shapes.
10. Deep fry (in small batches) until crisp and brown all over.
11. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.