Basbousa is an Egyptian semolina cake with yogurt.
– 1 2/3 cup farina
– 1/2 cup ghee
– 1 tbsp honey
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 1/2 cup plain yogurt
– 1/2 tbsp baking powder
– 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
– 1/2 tbsp tahini
– 1 cup sugar
– 1 cup water
– 1 tsp lemon juice
– 2 tbsp honey
– 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– Nuts for garnishing
1. In a deep bowl, combine farina, baking powder, sugar and coconut. Mix well.
2. Melt the ghee in the microwave and add the honey in it.
3. Add the ghee mixture to the bowl of dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
4. Add the yogurt and mix, just until everything is well incorporated.
5. Brush a round 12-inch baking sheet with the tahini and spread the basbousa mixture evenly.
6. Spread nuts on top evenly.
7. Bake in the middle of your oven at 350F for about 10 minutes. Then move the basbousa up to the higher shelf and let it continue cooking until golden brown for another 15-20 minutes.
8. To make a syrup, in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, water, lemon juice, honey, and vanilla extract. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
9. Pour the syrup evenly and cover the basbousa immediately with foil.
10. Return to the turned off oven for another 5-10 minutes.
11. Cut and enjoy!