Beignets bananes, also known as banana fritters, are very popular among French Caribbeans as a sweet snack.
– 4 bananas
– 60g sugar
– 2 eggs
– 125g flour
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1 vanilla pod
– 1 lime, zested
– 1/4 tsp cinnamon
– 1/4 tsp nutmeg
– 1 tbsp white rum
– sunflower oil
– icing sugar 1 tbsp
1. Peel the bananas, mash them with a fork in a bowl.
2. Whisk in the sugar and eggs, flour and baking powder.
3. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod with a small knife. Add them to the mixture.
4. Stir in the lime zest, cinnamon, nutmeg and rum.
5. Full a deep pan up to 1/3 with an oil.
6. Gently drop tbsps of the batter into the oil and cook for about 2 minutes on each side, until dark golden all over.
7. Scoop the fritters out of the oil and drain on paper towels.
8. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve hot.