Banush is a Western Ukrainian dish, made of corn grits, fried pork fat and cheese, and is traditionally cooked over the fire.
– 1 cup corn grits
– 3 cups cream
– 200g bacon or salo (pork fat)
– 300g bryndza (sheep milk cheese)
– Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Fry bacon over medium heat, pouring off liquid fat.
2. Bring cream to a boil and then slowly add the corn grits, stirring continually.
3. Reduce the heat to minimum, stir actively with wooden spoon, until the butter appears on top.
4. Put the hot banush in deep bowl or clay pot, garnish with grated bryndza and bacon.