Russian beet salad with herring is commonly known in Russia as a “Herring under the Winter Coat Salad”. It is a must for every Russian holiday.
– 3 large potatoes
– 2 large carrots
– 2 beers
– 1 jar herring fillets
– 1/2 yellow onion
– Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Boil the potatoes, carrots, and beets until cooked but still firm (15 to 20 minutes for the potatoes, 25 to 30 minutes for the carrots, and 40 minutes for the beets).
2. Peel and then shred the potatoes, carrots, and beets, keeping them separate.
3. Arrange the onion and herring fillets in a layer in the bottom of a bowl. Cover the layer with grated potatoes, then carrots, and finally beets.
4. Spread each layer with mayonnaise.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour.
7. Serve cold.