Fritto Misto is a platter of assorted fried seafood and one of the glories of food in Venice.
– 8 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
– 200g all-purpose flour
– 200g cornstarch
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 salt
– 2 cups chilled club soda
– 1/4 small squash, thinly sliced
– 1/2 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
– 1 leek
– 100g maitake or shiitake mushrooms
– 1 lemon, thinly sliced
– 100g large shrimps
– 100g squid or baby octopus tentacles
– Fresh parsley and sage leaves
1. Combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
2. Add club soda and mix.
3. Dip one-fourth of mixed vegetables, citrus, seafood, and herbs into batter, letting excess drip back into bowl.
4. Fry, turning occasionally, until golden and crisp, for about 1–3 minutes.
5. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a wire rack and season with salt.
6. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
7. Serve with lemon wedges.