Chicken parmigiana, or chicken parmesan (Italian: Pollo alla parmigiana), is a dish which consists of breaded chicken breast cooked with tomato sauce underneath mozzarella, parmesan, or provolone cheese.
This dish originated in the 20th century in the United States of America from Italian immigrants.
– 2 boneless chicken breasts, pounded
– Salt and pepper
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– 2 eggs, beaten
– 1 cup bread crumbs
– Olive oil for frying
– Tomato sauce
– Fresh mozzarella, sliced
– Parmesan, grated
– Fresh basil
1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
2. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Sprinkle each chicken breast with flour, dip in the egg and then dredge in the bread crumbs.
3. Fry chicken breasts in the olive oil until golden brown on both sides, approximately 2 minutes per side.
4. Transfer chicken breasts to a baking sheet.
5. Top chicken breasts with tomato sauce, sliced mozzarella and grated Parmesan. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Bake in the oven until the chicken is cooked, approximately 5-10 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh basil.