Budini di riso, also known as Florentine Rice-Pudding Tarts, is a famous Italian breakfast treat.
– 2 tbsp butter (unsalted, 1 oz)
– 1/2 cup short-grain rice
– 39ml Vin Santo (or cognac, brandy, rum, or omit)
– 2 cups milk
– 1/3 cup sugar
– 1/2 vanilla bean
– 2 tsp vanilla extract
– 2 eggs
– Zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange
– Powdered sugar, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
2. Melt the butter and then add the rice and shot of Vin Santo (or other alcohol, if using), and stir with a wooden spoon for about 1 minute.
3. Add the milk, sugar, vanilla seeds, and vanilla extract.
4. Simmer uncovered for about 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
6. Stir in beaten eggs and orange and lemon zest.
7. Spoon the rice pudding into muffin tins up to the edge and bake for about 10 minutes, or until the tops are firm and golden brown.
8. Let the tarts cool before removing from muffin tins.
9. Lightly dust with powdered sugar just before serving.