Pollo Guisado, also known as Dominican chicken, is one of the most popular dishes in Dominican cuisine. It is tender, flavourful and easy to cook.
– 1 whole chicken
– 2 limes
– 1 small red onion
– 1/2 cup celery
– 1/2 tsp garlic
– 2 tbsp oil
– 1 tsp sugar
– 2 cups water
– 4 plum tomatoes
– 2 green bell peppers
– 1/4 cup seedless olives
– 1 cup tomato sauce
– Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Cut the chicken into small pieces.
2. Brush the chicken with lime juice.
3. Mix oregano, onion, celery, salt and garlic.
4. Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile heat the oil and add sugar. Cook until it browns.
6. Add the chicken and sauté until the meat is light brown.
7. Add 2 tbsp of water. Simmer covered over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring and adding water as it becomes necessary.
8. Add an onion, celery, tomatoes, peppers, olives, and garlic.
9. Cover and simmer until the vegetables are cooked through, adding water and stirring occasionally.
10. Add the tomato sauce and half a cup of water.
11. Simmer over low heat to make a light sauce.
12. Add fresh cilantro.
13. Season with salt and pepper.