Tom Kha Gai is a Thai coconut chicken soup.
– 1 shallot, diced
– 1/4 cup ginger
– 1/4 cup galangal root
– 3 tbsp finely chopped lemongrass
– 8 kaffir lime leafs
– 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
– 500g boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or sub 500 crispy tofu)
– 200g mushrooms (oyster, shiitake, cremini, or straw mushrooms)
– 2-4 fresh Thai chilies
– 3 tbsp fish sauce
– 1 1/2 tsp salt
– 2 cans of coconut milk
– 3 tbsp lime juice
– 2 tsp coconut sugar
1. Slice the chicken into thin bitesized pieces. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
2. In large heavy bottom pot, sauté diced shallot with a little oil over medium heat. Add sliced ginger, lemongrass, lime leaves and galalagal.
3. Add 2 cups broth and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add the chicken (or tofu) and sliced mushrooms and simmering for 3-4 minutes or until chicken is just cooked through.
5. Stir in the coconut milk, fish sauce, chilies, and salt and bring to a gentle simmer.
6. Add the lime juice and sugar.